Hi Friends

Hi Friends!

I've always been a great believer in others. When it comes to politics, I've always been blissfully uninformed, trusting that "oh, my country's fellow citizens have got this down, I don't need to pay attention." This year, I was shocked out of this impression by a divisive but also enlightening election.

The 2016 Presidential election was an affecting time for much of the country, and it's an understatement to say the outcome was surprising for many in my own social networks. Polls were completely off and many of us were shocked, because everyone we knew was voting for HRC. In the aftermath, the news media was scrambling to make sense of things.

Conversation everywhere I went that week and weekend was "How did this happen? What can we do?"

We should take informed action, we should volunteer, we should join protests and have our voices be heard.

I'd like to understand more about "how this happened", so I can put the "informed" in "informed action".

To that end, I will be reading through the books on The Atlantic's reading guide for those in despair about American politics, and sharing summaries & reflections of each book on this blog.

My main goal is to:

  1. Highlight things I learned / things I found surprising, in case it's new information for others as well. (Our hyper partisan social media feeds and real life relationships suggests that it might be :P.)
  2. Call out books which are life changing. Because I value your time, esteemed-reader, and would like to pan for book-gold on your behalf.
So far I'm two books in. Stay tuned!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strangers in their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right